HEART really benefits in have a number of business figures acting as Higher Level Skills Ambassadors who convey the value of working with universities and colleges to their supply chains and business associates.
We offer periodic events for the Ambassadors and the most recent took place on Wednesday 11 March hosted by Leeds Trinity University with a view to providing ample networking time but also an input on a range of the schemes available for recruiting students, whether this be on unpaid work experience placements, paid internships or straightforward graduate recruitment.
- Jess Sewter, Employer Partnership Manager for Leeds Trinity University relating to their six week work experience placement scheme.
- Zoe Mitton, Employer Services at University of Huddersfield giving detail on their award winning Year in Industry model and
- Alison Hedley, Employer Services Manager at University of Bradford outlining their supported internship programmes for small medium enterprises.
The mix of Ambassadors in attendance was fabulous and represented a range of sectors all bringing ideas, enthusiasm and suggestions to the table. Examples of existing usage of schemes to recruit graduates were provided and demonstrated a thoroughly positive experience of these services. The scope for Ambassadors to broaden their links, availing themselves of alternative schemes to those encountered to date was clearly appreciated.
As with all such events the networking was of a high quality with new connections made between Ambassadors and a number of new requests for support received in respect of curriculum developments, servicing potential education/training contracts and work on widening participation by under represented groups in higher education.
If you feel you have what it takes to be a HEART Higher Level Skills Ambassador do please get in touch. We are particularly keen to build representation from the following key Leeds City Region LEP sector priority areas:
- Business services including financial services
- Advanced engineering and manufacturing
- Life sciences
- Low carbon and environmental industries.