Adult Learners’ Week offers a focal point to celebrate the range and diversity of learning opportunities available to adults and how lifelong learning can really transform the lives of individuals, communities and organisations. We are delighted to be sponsoring the Raising Aspirations Award at this year’s Adult Learner Awards for Yorkshire & Humber. The awards are taking place at Forsters Bistro in Bradford and it is therefore rather fitting that the recipient is from the city.
Adult Learners’ Week provides the opportunity to highlight a range of activities although it should be noted that HEART partners support adult learning throughout the year with short courses, degrees and masters programmes. A range of activities are being offered throughout Adult Learners’ Week and these can all be accessed on the HEART website. Just a few of the activities on offer are:
- Bradford College offering advice sessions on the new 24+ advanced learning loans available from this autumn
- University of Bradford and University of Huddersfield are both providing open afternoon/evenings to showcase the massive range of courses available
- Leeds College of Art providing printed textiles tasters
- Leeds Trinity University offering two events, one showcasing the range of work based foundation degrees and another providing specialist advice on courses leading to qualified teacher status
- Leeds College of Building are offering two days of free taster courses for you to ‘have a go’ at brickwork, plastering & plumbing
- Leeds City College are offering a huge range of activities at centres across the city that can only be appreciated by looking through the website and
- University of Leeds are partnering with the Swarthmore Centre to offer tasters in languages including sign language.
Whatever the time of year, it is worth noting that the Lifelong Learning Centre at University of Leeds offer a free and impartial advice service to support adults in identifying the most appropriate courses to meet learning and career aspirations.